Traditional Tahini Misbahoo***
- 2 cups honey (use organic & diabetics can enjoy)
- 2 cups of tahini
- 1 tps. Vanilla extract
- pistachio, split almond nuts or Nestle's Milk Chocolate Morsels are optional
- olive oil
- 1/2 - 2cups of dry milk*
1. Warm honey on medium heat or microwave for 40 seconds, not over 100 degrees
2. Have the Tahini in a medium size bowl
3. Add the honey to the Tahini, and add the vanilla extract. Mix with a wooden spoon to combine. At first it will look separated but after a few moments it all comes together
4. Continue to mix until the mixture starts to stiffen, for a good 6-8 minutes. If the mixture does not become stiff, slowly fold in dry milk to stiffen filling.* Add mixture into a lightly-greased ( olive oil ) loaf pan**, or into a greased cake pan with a removable bottom. Press into pan and smooth out the bottom with a spatula.
5. Keep at room temperature and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Leave in the refrigerator for up to 3 hours. This will allow the tahini to form, which will give the halawah its distinctive texture.
6. Invert to remove from pan and cut into pieces with a sharp knife. Will keep for months in the refrigerator, tightly wrapped in plastic.
Time: 20 minuets to prepare
Notes: processed honey contains sugar so it wont crystalize on the store shelves, use raw or uncooked honey and this will not affect the sugar levels of diabetics ( Allah is Great)
** crumble some nuts and place at the bottom of the loaf pan, which will become the top of the misbahoo loaf
***misbahoo is the blackamerican muslim designation for this dessert