Tunurah’s Homemade Specialties
Bean Pie (The Forgotten Taste)
Sis. Tunurah Abdul Khabir for: Tunurah’s Favorite Halal Recipe
1 ½ cups cooked pureed Great Northern* White Beans
1 cup light brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
5 eggs, slightly beaten
1 stick butter – softened
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tea-spoon vanilla
1 can (12-oz.) Carnation Evaporated Milk
Optional: yellow food coloring**
2 9” uncooked pie crust
THIS IS WHERE THE MAGIC HAPPENS
1) Beat eggs, both sugars, and butter with an electric mixer until fluffy.
2) Add cornstarch.
3) Add beans, mix together.
Note: Using a Foley’s colander ( food mill ) will produce more of a custard-like bean filling
4) Add 1 can of Carnation Evaporated Milk, and beat together using a mixer
5) Add lemon juice and vanilla. Blend in. (If using food coloring add it now)**
6) Pour filling in pie shells
7) Sprinkle cinnamon over filling until covered
8) Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until golden brown.
This recipe was given to me about 22 years ago although the bean pie has been around for 60 odd years. It has brought amazement to all kinds of folks that have tasted it for the first time.
* I am aware that the NOI bean pies only use White Navy Beans, I however, prefer the taste of Great Northern White Beans.